SUMMARY OF THE JOB
The Academic Advisement team supports all students through matriculation with guidance and counsel, assisting them in areas associated with their academic experience. Academic Advisors provide communication between Academics, Student Success, and Financial Planning regarding referral needs, student status changes and retention matters for each campus and online.
- Assist in the design and implementation of comprehensive academic advising and support services for on-ground and online students.
- Conduct on-going student success review, makes recommendations on areas for improvement and maintain knowledge in the field.
- Partner with other departments to develop effective study strategies, tutoring, time management and accountability to provide retention services for students.
- Use CampusVue to generate attendance reports, SAP (satisfactory academic progress), degree audits, and graduation requirements to monitor student progress.
- Use Blackboard to monitor student grades during the term.
- Process and manage academic and attendance probationary status changes.
- Develop rapport and assess individual situations, circumstances, and create personal academic plans, track student progress and accurately report on all activities necessary to the respective Department Deans.
- Successfully identify “at risk” students in partnership with Student Success, Financial Planning, the Office of the Registrar and Department Deans and faculty.
- Communicate to at “risk students” the implications of various policies and procedures related to academic and attendance policy (probation, extended academic probation, financial aid appeal and terms for termination).
- Ability to maneuver through CampusVue, Blackboard, other software, and advising practices to assist in answering students’ questions, entering notes regarding student contacts, and updating student statuses.
- Assists on-ground and online students with understanding the process for program transfers and shift changes.
- Attend reentry meetings and analyze requests for readmission from academic or attendance termination.
- Enforce compliance with current protocols and policies for efficiencies and make recommendations to the University Registrar.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records in compliance with FERPA, state law, and college policies.
- Assist with on and off campus student activities to promote a sense of community.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Continued education, related certifications, and increased knowledge-base for enhanced training and skill sets.
- Must participate in the Hallmark Character Education Program.
- Detailed-oriented, superior customer service skills, professionalism, ability to work independently, self-starter, and a team player.
- Knowledge or experience working under rules of Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and confidentiality standards.
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
- Aptitude for managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrate exemplary work ethic, positive attitude, and accountability to HU values.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) problem solving skills.
- Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, and Outlook.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent education / experience
- One year’s experience in Academic Advising in and institution of higher learning
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Must have reliable transportation as travel between campuses is required.
- Must pass comprehensive background check.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent education / experience
- Five years’ experience in Academic Advising
|Job Category||Full Time|