Posted 1 month ago
SUMMARY OF THE JOB:
Under the general supervision of the VP of Financial Affairs, the Payroll and Benefits Specialist performs a variety of technical and para-professional duties in support of the Human Resources Department. Maintains payroll and benefit record requirements for accounting of salary, benefits, accruals, and deductions. Provides information and assistance to University employees, staff, and faculty.
- Responsible for semi-monthly payroll processing including but not limited to preparing pre-notes, creating spreadsheets, processing retro benefit deductions, garnishment payments, payroll deductions, calculating pay sheets, confirming payroll cycle, printing checks, running benefits distribution, running general ledger interface and printing payroll reports. Manage final evaluation of all payroll data. Verify payroll changes to new, current, and terminated employees.
- Responsible for review of W-2 tables annually and the processing of annual W2’s for both current and previous employees.
- Assist with the maintenance of electronic and hard copy personnel files
- Train employees on organizations’ timekeeping systems
- Review time sheets, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies
- Record employee information, such as transfers, and resignations to maintain and update payroll records
- Provide information to employees and managers on payroll matters, tax issues, and benefit plan.
- Assist with administration of employee leave policies and programs including need for personal and medical leaves in compliance with appropriate policies and regulations
- Oversee and administer benefit programs including, but not limited to working with insurance brokers to get quotes, benefit enrollment paperwork, review of invoices to ensure accuracy
- Manage benefits in the payroll system. Review benefit plan rules, premium update, plan changes, work processes, calculation changes, and so forth for all employees.
- COBRA paperwork, invoicing, tracking
- 401(k) plan – track employee contributions, make timely payments, complete annual compliance report, work with third parties for rollovers, distributions, etc.
- Process/track all disability and life insurance claims
- Maintains confidentiality regarding payroll and personnel actions; confidential and sensitive performance problems, termination actions, organizational plans, and legal action
- All other duties, as assigned
- Continuing professional development
- Must participate in the Hallmark Character program.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively
- Detailed oriented & problem solver with ability to multitask
- Excellent research skills
- Proficient in MS Office, especially MS Excel [minimum intermediate level]
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years of payroll processing & benefit administration for 100+ employees
- General knowledge of Human Resources principles, policies and procedures & payroll administration
- Demonstrated skills in the utilization of automated HR systems including report writing
- Knowledge of College Policies and Procedures
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, regulations and guidelines related to a payroll and benefit administration
- Knowledge of payroll principles, practices and methods
- Knowledge of accounting practices and procedures
- Skill in evaluating and analyzing technical payroll activities
- Skill in preparing detailed payroll reports
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Excellent interpersonal skills both verbal and written
About Hallmark University
Hallmark University is a nonprofit college offering Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cyber Security, Business, and Nursing.