The Purchasing Specialist is responsible for the coordination and execution of all purchasing activities across the organization. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to, securing contracts/services with current and potential vendors, negotiation, review, and approval of contract/service terms and conditions, obtaining competitive pricing for projects and recurring purchases, and any supplier management conditions that may affect the organization.
- Direct and manage the purchasing activities of the university; to include but not be limited to, review of planned orders, create requisitions for purchased items, confirms system lead times, delivery dates and costs, an inspection of merchandise or products to determine quality/value and authorize payment of invoices and return of merchandise.
- Receiving, processing, documenting and executing purchases and procurements according to the Hallmark University policies and procedures. Ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations; maintain the necessary documentation for proper invoicing and billing.
- Book inventory management – process book/tool orders, maintain safety stock, calculate monthly inventory, process returns, and credits, negotiate annual forward buys, update ISBN revisions and price lists, and maintain all onsite supplies inventories.
- Provide accurate and timely supplier negotiations and contracting based on defined category criteria (i.e. cost, quality, productivity, service).
- Develop project plans to monitor and track progress and implement purchasing procedures to process bids and purchase orders.
- Analyzes evaluate and identify preferred vendors based on specific performance criteria.
- Reviews, updates, and maintains purchase orders until they are closed.
- Participate in the ongoing development of efficient processes for an effective purchasing system.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Back up other corporate services as needed.
- Actively participates in Hallmark Character Program.
- Continued Education, Certifications, Knowledge Base enhanced training and skillsets.
- Must participate in the Hallmark Character program.
- Project Management.
- Contract Management.
- Billing Procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field with at least 2 years of experience.
- Certification for purchasing. Public Procurement Officer (CPPO), Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB), Certified Purchasing Buyer (CPB), or Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM)
- Associate’s Degree in business or a related field with at least 4 years of experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in a procurement-based environment.
- Proficient knowledge of software applications to include Word, Excel, databases, and use of the Internet.
- Ability to multi-task with high attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, across all levels of the organization.